Skip to main content

Junior Year as student deaconess

 

               Hello, my name is Jesemae Gael O. Gale from the Philippines. I am taking a Bachelor of Arts in Christian Education at Harris Memorial College, Taytay Rizal Philippines. I am now in my senior year and by God’s grace, am in my final year before becoming a full-fledged deaconess. Today, I would love to share my experiences in the last semester and testify to God’s grace and goodness in my life.

               In my third year or junior year, I had a combination of online classes and face-to-face classes. Last February, we had face-to-face classes for the very first time after two and a half years of online classes caused by the pandemic which made me experience the hands-on training of becoming a deaconess as I lived in the dormitory and be appointed at church outside the Harris community. I would like to share that we have training of waking up at 5 a.m. every day followed by the student’s morning devotion, breakfast, housework, study hours, chapel services, doing laundry and sleeping, and having lights off by 10 p.m. I have learned in this training the importance of time management and spiritual and personal discipline.  I have learned to live in harmony with diverse students and to learn to endure and persevere in my training and studies.

               In the Field Education course, I was given an opportunity to be appointed at church and perform the ministerial work of a deaconess. I was appointed at The Fairview Park United Methodist Church in Quezon, City. As a student deaconess in charge, I was able to handle the children's ministry and some youth activities. I was able to teach children and youth Sunday school, facilitate a Junior Worship, and preach in Congregational Worship. I had also my time to teach children action songs. Moreover, the deaconess, youth leaders, and I were able to visit the mission areas of Fairview Park UMC to encourage other young people to come to church and participate in church activities and to draw them to Jesus Christ, our Lord, and Savior. With the guidance of the administrative pastor, deaconess in-residence, and church chairperson and leaders, I was able to learn about the various ministries that God has entrusted to his disciples. I have learned to reach out to and socialize with different age groups. My involvement in church and service to God strengthens my call as God’s servant. I have also experienced hardships along the way, for instance, being physically tired. My church appointment was a two-and-a-half-hour travel from Harris, and I rode five transportations before I reached my appointment. I had to ride jeepney from Harris to Tikling, and Tikling to Sta. Lucia, then riding a van from Sta. Lucia to the Commonwealth Market in Quezon City, then riding a bus from Commonwealth Market to Fairview Center Mall, and lastly riding a tricycle from the mall to church. However, my physical tiredness turns to spiritual strength whenever I see the children and focus on God.

            During my studies at Harris, I was given an opportunity to lead students as Head of the Faith Nurturing Committee. We, the committee under the supervision of our school chaplain and with God’s guidance, were able to implement activities and programs for the students which could help them in their spiritual growth. I had also a chance to become part of the school choir (Choraliers) and learn to play hymns on the keyboard which taught me to appreciate music and see music as a way to praise and worship God.

            At the end of the year, I am grateful that I had received academic excellence and awarded as Dean’s list. I am so grateful for all the people who helped me with my studies such as my family, my home church, and the Scranton scholarship. I praise God for all of his provisions in my studies and experiences. I give him all the Glory alone.

Comments

Other Stations

God is our Help

Isaiah 38:16 O Lord, by these things people live,     and in all these is the life of my spirit.     Oh, restore me to health and make me live! Ang verse na ito ay ang sinabi ni Haring Hezekiah Ng Judah sa ating Panginoong Diyos habang siya ay nasa proseso Ng kagalingan. Isang hari si Hezekiah ngunit kinilala pa rin Niya ang Diyos na nakahihigit sa lahat. Humingi siya Ng tulong sa Diyos at nakakaranas Siya Ng kagalingan. Pinapaalala Ng verse na ito na ang Dakilang Diyos ay mahihingan natin Ng tulong nasaan man tayo o anumang estado Ng ating Buhay. Mahal ka, tayo Ng Diyos at Hindi Niya tayo pababayaan.

In This Life, Spread Love

To be loved is an unexplainable feeling but sharing love is impactful. 1 John 4:19 says, "We love because He first loved us." It is receiving love from others, especially from God, that we are able to love. The recipient of that love can be a family member, relative, friend, significant other, and even a stranger whom you think and feel that this person needs it. Spread love, let everyone be in love.   

In This Life, Cling to the Truth

The creation will never grasp the majestic plan of the Creator. No matter how hard we strive to know, we will never meet His Greatness. But the Creator, our LORD will never let His creations go astray Remain in Him, Come near to Him He is our guide, He is the Giver of our lives. Have faith and believe in every written word he had spoken. For God's Word is true and infallible. Read the Bible and pray every day. Pray for God's revelation in your life.