Skip to main content

Last Morning Devotion as student Deaconess at Harris Memorial College

 Gale, Jesemae Gael O.

ABCE- Senior

Morning Devotion/ Farewell

May 9, 2024

Biblical Reference

James 4:13-15 Boasting about Tomorrow

13 Come now, you who say, “Today or tomorrow we will go to such and such a town and spend a year there, doing business and making money.” 14 Yet you do not even know what tomorrow will bring. What is your life? For you are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes. 15 Instead you ought to say, “If the Lord wishes, we will live and do this or that.”

Ate Jes came from the municipality of Bolinao in the province of Pangasinan. Growing up in a small town and residing in a rural area which is surrounded by beaches and plains. Life in the province is simple and I have learned to be always grateful for what is served in front of me and avoid grumbling. That is how my parents taught and raised me.  I have a loving and very good cook mama and Papa. And that serves as their best feature as my parents.   I have a sister who always cared for and believed in me but she passed away at the age of 26 last September 2022 because of her inborn heart disease and developed skin disease called psoriasis. I have my youngest baby sister who lived for only two days here on earth (she was born May 24, 2006, and died May 26, 2006). She was a premature baby and she didn’t make it. Now I have only my beloved younger brother and, he is at the beginning of his 3rd year College of nursing. I’m grateful for my family but it doesn’t mean that we didn’t have any struggles in life. Of course, we had a lot, especially the financial crisis. And now I will share how our dear Lord carried us through the financial crises. 

To become a nurse or to become a deaconess? Either of the two. I consider the perception of my family, money, and future on deciding what program to take in college. “I thought that if I became a nurse, I could help my family with our financial crises.” Just like what James 4:13-14 said 13-14 Come now, you who say, “Today or tomorrow we will go to such and such a town and spend a year there, doing business and making money.”14 Yet you do not even know what tomorrow will bring. What is your life? For you are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes.”

I still pursue nursing even though deep in my heart I have a desire to serve the Lord Full-time. 

But God encountered me on my nursing journey through the founder of Modern Nursing Florence Nightingale. Nightingale said that “it is her calling to help the wounded soldiers from the war.” 

That’s the moment that strikes me and I asked the Lord? What is my life, Lord? Is it in the physical nurturing or spiritual nurturing?

As I go to my 2nd-semester enrollment, it takes three days for me to go back and forth to enroll and I was hesitant to do it. On that very third day, this scripture James 4:13-15 was the line-up scripture of the day for my journal. When I was reading verse 15 (15 Instead you ought to say, “If the Lord wishes, we will live and do this or that.”), I faithfully said Yes Lord. I called our deaconess and my parents and told them that I would not enroll anymore and I wanted to enter the deaconess ministry.  At first, I was not accepted by my parents, it took months for my family to accept everything. But God healed every one.

I would like to testify how God has been so good to me. God’s grace is with me, with us.

Now, I would like to share how God works in my life and my learnings throughout my four years of being a student deaconess (his servant) here at Harris Memorial College and some tips on how I managed to wake up every day.😊

Tip 1. Put God first and give what is God’s. Make time for God from the beginning to the end of the day. I would recommend having a personal devotion or a journal where you can hear God’s message and guide every day. (Matthew 6:33). When you seek God first, believe that other things will be in control. Give your time, talent, and treasure (tithes and offerings) to God. We cannot imagine how God responds to one’s faithfulness. (TESTIFY ON GOD’S PROVISION through Scholarship).

Tip 2. Talk to God every moment. (Psalm 19:14) Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be acceptable to you, O LORD, my rock and my redeemer. It is like praying every moment even when you are alone or when you are with someone. 

Tip 3 Be grateful. ( 1 Thessalonians 5:18) A gratitude journal at night will help us reflect at the end of the day. In my journal, I have this portion “Things I’m grateful about” where I write things such as food, finish requirements, rest, do my laundry iron my clothes, practice organs, etc. These motivate me that I have done something within a day. 

Tip 4 Put your faith into action. (James 2:17) Let us try to live how Jesus lives. We may not be perfect but Jesus who is with us perfected us. Let us strive to LOVE just like Jesus. To show love to others in practical ways. Initiate help or give what you can. (Matthew 25:31-46) JUST DO IT FOR GOD AND ACCORDING TO YOUR FAITH.

Tip 5. Be diligent in performing your duties and responsibilities. (Philippians 2:14 Do everything without complaining and arguing). (1 Corinthians 16:14 Let all that you do be done in love).

Tip 6. Manifest the Fruit of the Spirit. (Galatians 5:22-23 By contrast, the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, generosity, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control. There is no law against such things.)

Tip 7. Rejoice. (Philippians 4:4, Rejoice in the Lord always; again, I will say rejoice.) Learn to appreciate small things and big things. Do what you love to do and enjoy the gift that God has given you. Sing, dance, laugh, write, act, eat, rest, bond, go out, and many more. Appreciate the LIFE that God has given to us together with other creations. 

Gratitude:

·         To God, my foundation

·         To my parents and family

·         To my Alma mater Harris Memorial College and HMC faculty and staff

·         To Pastor Alpha, Ma’am Beng Ate Shirley, Kuya Marvin, Kuya Rommel, and Kuya Vergel.

·         To Scranton Women’s Leadership Center Scholarship and Commission on Higher Education Tulong Dunong Program

·         To my home church Bolinao Central United Methodist Church

·         To the Student Council and FNC S.Y. 2022-2024.

·         To my Roommates/ family Rahab fam and Gentleness Darlings

·         To the Senior Class, HIPAC Student deaconesses, and SBO.

 

I am blessed to have you all on my life journey.  You are forever in my heart.

 

#LetJesusShine

#Letyourlightshine

#LetUsShine

Psalm 111:10 The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom; all those who practice it have a good understanding. His praise endures forever.

 




 

 

Comments

Other Stations

God is our Help

Isaiah 38:16 O Lord, by these things people live,     and in all these is the life of my spirit.     Oh, restore me to health and make me live! Ang verse na ito ay ang sinabi ni Haring Hezekiah Ng Judah sa ating Panginoong Diyos habang siya ay nasa proseso Ng kagalingan. Isang hari si Hezekiah ngunit kinilala pa rin Niya ang Diyos na nakahihigit sa lahat. Humingi siya Ng tulong sa Diyos at nakakaranas Siya Ng kagalingan. Pinapaalala Ng verse na ito na ang Dakilang Diyos ay mahihingan natin Ng tulong nasaan man tayo o anumang estado Ng ating Buhay. Mahal ka, tayo Ng Diyos at Hindi Niya tayo pababayaan.

In This Life, Spread Love

To be loved is an unexplainable feeling but sharing love is impactful. 1 John 4:19 says, "We love because He first loved us." It is receiving love from others, especially from God, that we are able to love. The recipient of that love can be a family member, relative, friend, significant other, and even a stranger whom you think and feel that this person needs it. Spread love, let everyone be in love.   

In This Life, Cling to the Truth

The creation will never grasp the majestic plan of the Creator. No matter how hard we strive to know, we will never meet His Greatness. But the Creator, our LORD will never let His creations go astray Remain in Him, Come near to Him He is our guide, He is the Giver of our lives. Have faith and believe in every written word he had spoken. For God's Word is true and infallible. Read the Bible and pray every day. Pray for God's revelation in your life.